Skip to content

British Columbia

BC has committed $7.6 billion in trasnportation investments and $147 million in braodband through 2024.

British Columbia (BC) has a vast infrastructure network that supports the economic and social needs of the province. The province's infrastructure includes transportation, energy, water and wastewater systems, and telecommunications networks. Overall, BC has invested significantly in infrastructure in recent years, with the goal of improving safety, reducing travel times, and supporting economic growth.

Transportation infrastructure is a key component of BC's infrastructure network, and the province has invested heavily in this area. According to the Canadian Infrastructure Report Card, approximately 23% of BC's roads are in poor or very poor condition, highlighting the need for continued investment in road maintenance and repairs. BC has also invested in transit infrastructure, including the expansion of the SkyTrain system in Metro Vancouver and the introduction of rapid bus transit in other urban areas.

The province's energy infrastructure includes hydroelectric power generation, natural gas pipelines, and renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. BC is the third-largest producer of hydroelectric power in Canada, with over 90% of the province's electricity coming from this source. The province has also invested in renewable energy sources, with wind and solar projects underway across the province.

BC's water and wastewater infrastructure is essential for providing clean and safe drinking water and managing wastewater. According to the BC Water and Wastewater Association, there is a need for significant investment in water and wastewater infrastructure across the province, with many systems aging and in need of repairs.

Finally, BC's telecommunications infrastructure is crucial for supporting economic growth and social connectivity. According to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, approximately 91% of BC households have access to high-speed internet, with the remaining 9% in rural and remote areas lacking access to reliable internet connectivity.

In summary, BC has invested significantly in infrastructure in recent years, with a focus on improving transportation, energy, water and wastewater, and telecommunications networks. While there is still work to be done, these investments have helped to improve safety, reduce travel times, and support economic growth across the province.